Sunday, November 8, 2009

Looking Ahead

The 2009 gubernatorial election is now behind us, and it is time to turn our serious attention to the problems and challenges that face us as a commonwealth. Many of our members and their families are going to be dealing with the challenges brought about by the gloomy economic forecasts which will impact our schools in the coming months and years.

With that thought in mind, I wrote the following letter of congratulations to Governor-elect McDonnell. It is a sincere message of congratulations. He ran a spectacular campaign. I hope he will have an equally spectacular term because his success will mean success for Virginians and ultimately for the children of Virginia.

For those who might be interested, I am including the text of the letter that I sent to Mr. McDonnell this week. That letter will make up the content of my blog posting for this time.

Until next time.

Kitty

Dear Governor-elect McDonnell:


Please accept my sincere congratulations on your election to Virginia’s highest office. Your campaign can only be characterized as disciplined and highly organized. Your hard work and ability to inspire voters ultimately won the day.


As you move from campaign mode into the realm of governing the commonwealth of Virginia, I would like to extend not only my congratulations but an offer to work with you for the betterment of public education in Virginia. In your acceptance speech on Tuesday evening, you said, “Give me a chance to earn your trust to work with you for the betterment of the commonwealth of Virginia.” I will certainly do that, and I respectfully request that you give me that same chance.


You also said that you plan to keep the promise as governor that you made as a candidate and that is to create more jobs and opportunity “so that every Virginian can use their God-given talents to pursue the American dream and liberty....” I would like to offer my assistance in helping you keep that promise.


The campaign is behind us. You will undoubtedly face many great challenges in the four years ahead. Ultimately, your success will translate into Virginia’s success. I look forward to working with you. In the meantime, please accept my warmest congratulations on your hard won victory.


Sincerely,

Dr. Kitty J. Boitnott, President

Virginia Education Association