Monday, May 2, 2011

New York Times Article on Teacher Pay is Right On!

Two of my colleagues sent me a link to an article this morning that I thought was too good to keep to myself. In fact, I have forwarded it to all VEA Board members, local presidents, UniServ and Headquarters staff members, and I just now shared it on my Facebook page. Since I hadn't updated my blog for a while (sorry to those who do actually read it), it made sense to share it here as well. It is an article that came out yesterday in the New York Times.

I am embarrassed that it has taken me so long to write this post. I got busy with preparations for the Convention which was held in Roanoke April 7-9, and then I took some much needed time off. I enjoyed a spring break for the first time since taking office, and while I didn't actually get to take the whole week, it was nice to take a couple of days off. I didn't go anywhere...just enjoyed time at home with my two dachshunds, and I got some things done around the house that I had been putting off for lack of time and opportunity.

The Convention is now "old news" but it went well. This week coming up is the May Super Week in Washington, DC and it promises to be a very busy one. I always chuckle at the name, "Super Week" because it seems that the goal is to cram as many meetings into four days as possible--and they do a very good job of it, indeed.

We are experiencing something of a lull here at the office these few weeks between spring break, Easter, and the end-of-year activities that always accompany the closing of schools for the summer. I am already receiving invitations to retirement dinners and receptions.

Coming up soon is our annual President's Training for local presidents. This year our training is being held in the beautiful setting on Smith Mountain Lake at Mariner's Landing in Bedford County. I look forward to a productive weekend with our local presidents--new and returning--while we network with one another and gather new and tried and true tools on how to build a stronger organization.

We are also gearing up for our annual NEA RA which is going to be held in Chicago this year. and on the heels of our return from Chicago, we will be celebrating the reconstitution of the Reggie Smith Academy under its new name: Reggie Smith Organizing School or RSOS. The dates for RSOS are July 26-28 and it will be held at the University of Richmond in Richmond, VA. We haven't conducted a leadership academy for several years now, and I am excited about getting this training back on our calendar.

That pretty much brings me up to date on what is going on at the moment. Don't forget to read the article above. It will be well worth your time.

Until next time.

Kitty